Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I got nothin' but love


"Can you squeeze me into an empty page of your diary
and psychologically save me? I've got faith in you." ~Morrissey

R is coming for a visit in a few weeks. I can’t tell you how excited I am to see her again. I haven’t seen her since her 30th birthday and before that I hadn’t seen her since our falling out over 5 years ago.

It is absolutely gorgeous here today and it has me waxing nostalgic of the time when we were in our early 20s. We were young and naive to the ways of the world. We didn’t make the smartest choices (I used my credit card for everything and R was non-compliant with her CF) but man, did we have a blast. Back then we didn’t have a care in the world.

All of our “friends” would talk about how great Sacramento is and if they could leave our Podunk town, that’s where they’d go. One summer R got offered a house sitting job for her aunt in Folsom and invited me along.

While in Folsom we had so much fun that we decided, if we could find an apartment and jobs within a week, it was our destiny to live in the Sacramento area. Within a few days we signed a lease for our first apartment (how we got approved with no jobs is beyond me), R got a job at a drugstore and I got a hostess job at a diner down the street. We had 7 young men living in the apartment across the hall from us and a gay couple (Dave Gahan’s cousin and Daniel Tupac Shakur LOL!) below us. Things couldn’t be better!

We fell in love with the Goth scene (though I think we were never truly “Goth”), we kissed lots of boys, we laughed and cried, stayed out all night and went to work without sleep, we had our hearts broken and broke a few hearts ourselves. It was the best of times and the worst of times.

I feel like that was a million lifetimes ago.
We have both grown and changed since then.

I regret the 5 years we spent apart but I am so thankful that we are united again and that I get to see her soon and meet her fiancé! I am so grateful to have her in my life.

Even though we are both engaged and will soon be married, I will always be her Clairee and she will always be my Ouiser even if we will sitting in rockers on our porches half way across the continent from each other when we are 80.

I love you R!

1 comments:

whatsherface said...

awwww!!! Right back atcha! <3

It really does seem like that was a whole other lifetime. I often reminisce about those days and, even with all the trials and tribulations, I still find myself smiling when I think of that time in our lives.

It's funny that I'm reading this blog today - this morning on my ride into work, I was thinking about you, how you always know how to make me laugh, how kind and thoughtful and wonderful you are, and how very happy I am to have you in my life again.

xoxo

 
template by suckmylolly.com