Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It was a very Merry Christmas


Christmas was awesome, fantastic or awesometastic as my cousin Mo would say.
It was busy, busy but so much fun. I felt so much love from my growing family.

The best part for me was Christmas Eve. I got to see Christmas through the eyes of a child and it made me feel so young. I’ve never experienced a Christmas with a little one around. I have been a swingin’ single (ok, I have been a self proclaimed hermit) for a long, long time. My nieces and nephew never lived close enough to me and this is the first time I have been in a serious relationship with a man who has a child. I wanted to make sure things were done right!

D still believes in Santa. My sis and I were told at a young age that Santa wasn’t real. I don’t remember ever putting out cookies but Santa did fill our stockings and gave us gifts but we always new that Santa = Daddy. They had the same handwriting for crying-out-loud! It didn’t make our Christmas any less fun. More on that in a bit…

I asked my Uncle to call and pretend he was Santa. I stuck a photo of Santa in my phone and set a special ring tone so that when he called it would say “Santa” was calling. It worked except she was too shy to talk to him! She asked me to tell him what she wanted. Oh well, thanks for being a good sport Uncle!

I showed D the Santa Tracker when we got home from Christmas Eve Dinner. She thought it was great. We left it on the computer so we could monitor his whereabouts. D wanted to rewrite her letter to Santa to add, “I will love what ever you bring me and even if I already have it, I will love it.” I think she was trying to score some last minute good girl points. We frosted some cookies, (more like cookied some frosting) set out the note and threw carrots on the roof for Rudolph.

We were sitting on the bed watching “Home Alone” when she noticed Santa was in South America. She pointed him out and told me she was ready for bed. I asked her if she had brushed her teeth and she said, “No”. Just then Santa had moved to Florida and she let out a little scream and jumped out of bed, ran to the bathroom and brushed fast and furiously. She ran out and said, “I brushed fast but I did a good job. Good night!” and ran back to bed. It was so darn cute!

A and I had plenty of time to stuff stockings but we kept our eye on Santa. Since Santa’s cookies had so much frosting, we decided to toss them in the outside trash. I did take a bite out of one to leave on the plate. A said, “Thanks for taking one for the team!”
I wrote D a note “from Santa” thanking her for the cookies and if she keeps remembering her ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ he’d be back next year. Santa “arrived” around 11:30pm.

Christmas morning she found the letter and was so excited. “Santa wrote me a letter!” She read it to us and then we opened gifts. Santa did get her something from her list and A and I got her some good stuff as well. We all had a blast.

Even though it wasn’t technically our first Christmas together, it was our first Christmas as a family and I enjoyed every minute of it.

There is more I want to say, mostly for nostalgia sake, but I will post that in the next few days.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Happy New Year Layne!! I hope this year brings you lots of joy and happiness. It sounds like it's going to be an awesome year with "new" beginnings. :)

Water said...

I think your idea of throwing the carrots on the roof for the reindeer is perfect, Julie has to wait until the kids go to sleep and knaws the carrots down LOL! We all know how much Julie likes vegies :-)

 
template by suckmylolly.com